The UMass Bank Card is a Visa credit card issued by US Bank. This is a 'one card' program that offers UMass and the cardholders flexibility to use a single card for both travel-related and supplies-related UMass expenses only. The Bank Card is a procurement tool that offers an alternative to UMass purchasing/payment processes for instances where the supplier does not accept a Purchase Order (PO), emergency purchases, and/or for UMass-related travel expenses (based on your applicable department approval).
You are encouraged to review both documents before making any purchases. Note that the UMass BOT Business Expense Policy should be complemented by your campus-specific business expense policy that is maintained by each campus Controller. Your department may require approval by the Fund Administrator for all purchases or for purchases over a predetermined threshold.
- Apply for your new card by sending an email to email@example.com with the following information: employee full name, employee ID #, and employee University email address
- Access job aids and video tutorials for the program on the UPST Resources (Forms & Job Aids) page
- Attend UPST instructor-led reallocation and statement upload training, register here
- Register your new card with US Bank (organization short name: Umass1), use these links to register and access job aids
- Learn how to sign up for account alerts with US Bank
- Learn how to view your US Bank electronic statement (eStatement)
- Request access to upload bank card statements and receipts for a cardholder as proxy (addition of External Req # field for Bank Card Statements form in BuyWays) by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ensure to include the following in your email: Name and employee ID of the proxy/delegated person (add Ext req # information for), cardholder name and last 4 digits of the Bank Card, name and employee ID of manager who will be approving statements for the cardholder
- Request reallocation access for a cardholder in PeopleSoft, by emailing us: email@example.com with the following information: Name of the user(s) who will be reallocating, Cardholder name(s) and cardholder employee ID
- Resolve budget check errors for transactions in Peoplesoft by verifying that the chartfield string information has been correctly entered. For errors on non-grant funds, please contact your campus Budget Office for assistance. For errors on grant funded transactions, please contact your campus Grant Accounting Office for assistance.
- Review the Bank Card FAQs for additional program information
Some leading practice information and forms to note as you use your Bank Card:
- Purchase exceptions or items over the approved limit on the card account: use the applicable Bank Card Change Request form to request a limit change. This form should also be used to request any update to your Bank Card. Note that this form requires the manager's approval before it can be processed.
- Reimbursement error: If you make a purchase via Bank Card and are subsequently reimbursed in error, you must return the reimbursement to the University within 30 days of discovering the error.
- Tax-exempt status: the University of Massachusetts is classified as an exempt purchaser under the doctrine of intergovernmental tax immunity and is therefore exempt from sales taxes for all tangible property or services. The Federal Tax ID Number (TIN) for UMass is 04-3167352.
- The University BuyWays system is the first source for purchasing goods and services. Amherst users should use Amherst's A&F applications page to login to BuyWays. B-D-L-P-M use this link to login.
- Capital equipment (greater than $5,000)
- Alcoholic beverages (please refer to the Business & Travel Expense policy and your campus approval matrix for specific campus allowability)
- Amazon Prime accounts
- Any item prohibited by State or University policy
- Item that can be purchased in BuyWays
- Cash advances of any type
- Cell phones and monthly invoices
- Construction, renovations and the related materials thereto
- Equipment in excess of $500
- Flowers (please refer to the Business & Travel Expense policy and your campus approval matrix for specific campus allowability)
- Upholstered Furniture
- Gasoline for personal vehicle
- Gifts (please refer to the Business & Travel Expense policy and your campus approval matrix for specific campus allowability)
- Gift cards (please refer to the Business & Travel Expense policy and your campus approval matrix for specific campus allowability)
- Lease and lease-purchases
- Moving services
- Personal purchases
- Prescription drugs and controlled substances
- Radioactive and hazardous material
- Rentals (except vehicle rentals for approved travel)
- Service contracts
- Split transactions – transactions over the approved limit on the UMass Card account may not be intentionally ‘split’ to bypass the limit
- UMass Club memberships unless approved by the University President
- Upholstered furniture
"Individual transaction funds" are those funds that may be expended by an individual with no prior approval and/or without the benefit of established oversight and control. This fund type includes University-liability credit cards and telephone calling cards and such imprest checking accounts as may be established to meet operating needs. The policy for individual transaction funds includes general guidelines for spending:
- All costs incurred or expenditures must comply with established University policies, especially Purchasing, Business Expense, and Employee Travel.
- This policy applies only to corporate liability cards (CLCs). Individual liability cards (ILCs), whether or not sponsored by the University or its campuses, are the sole responsibility of the holder. The University is not legally obligated for the ILC's use.
- Only the President, Chancellors, and senior administrators or staff designated under the authority of the President or Chancellors will be issued CLC's. Approval and acknowledgement of CLC receipt will be documented and copies will be maintained by the issuing organization on each campus.
To apply for a Declining Balance Bank Card/Gift Card, please visit the appropriate campus link and fill out an application with your campus.
For any maintenance or date extension request please refer to your campus through the link below.
- Amherst Declining Balance Bank Card - Link can be found at US Bank Declining Balance Card Application for Purchasing Gift Cards or US Bank Declining Balance Card Application for Human Subject Participant Gift Cards
- Dartmouth Gift Cards - Link can be found under Gift Card tab
- Boston Declining Balance Bank Card - Link can be found under Gift Card Participant Compensation
- Worcester Declining Card Link
- Lowell Gift Card and Human Subject Related Payment
This job aid describes the procedure that should be followed to review a Declining Card’s account Information. Declining Balance Bank Card - Accessing Card Information Job Aid
Job Aids, Forms, & Resources
Upload a Bank Card Statement and Receipts to BuyWays
Demonstrates the process of uploading Bank Card statements and receipts into BuyWays
Reallocating Funds for a Single Transaction
Describes the procedure for approving and reallocating Bank Card transactions to the appropriate Account code and/or chartfield string (funding)
Request a Change to a Bank Card
Provides example of Bank Card change request form and describes form approval process
|How to View Card Limit||Demonstrates how to check your Bank Card spending limit|
|Bank Card Change Request (Restricted/Grant Funded)||DocuSign form used to request a change on a Bank Card that is restricted/grant funded.|
|Bank Card Change Request (Unrestricted/Non-Grant Funded)||DocuSign form used to request a change on a Bank Card that is unrestricted/non-grant funded.|
|Missing Receipt Form||DocuSign form to be used and uploaded with your bank card statement if you are missing a receipt.|
|Upload a Bank Card Statement and Receipts to BuyWays - VIDEO||Visual walkthrough of how to upload Bank Card statements and receipts|
|Upload a Bank Card Statement to BuyWays - INTERACTIVE TRAINING||Interactive walkthrough of how to upload Bank Card statements and receipts|
|Reallocating Funds for a Single Transaction - VIDEO||Visual walkthrough of the procedure for approving and reallocating Bank Card transactions to the appropriate Account code and/or chartfield string (funding)|
|Reallocating Funds for a Split Transaction||Job aid that describes the procedure for approving and reallocating Bank Card transactions to the appropriate Account codes and/or chartfield strings (funding) for a split distribution transaction|
|Reallocating Funds for a Split Transaction - VIDEO||Visual walkthrough of the procedure for approving and reallocating Bank Card transactions to the appropriate Account codes and/or chartfield strings (funding) for a split distribution transaction|
|Finding Previous Bank Card Statements||Guide for how to locate previous Bank Card statements in BuyWays|
|Declining Balance Bank Card - Accessing Card Information||This job aid describes the procedure that should be followed to review a Declining Card’s account Information|