The University's Procurement Policy specifies the rules for all University procurement and contracting activities, with specific requirements detailed for the purchasing categories listed below:
- Construction or Building Maintenance
- Contract for Services
- Equipment or Software Maintenance
- Materials (Supplies, Parts, Utilities, Equipment)
- Space or Equipment Rental or Lease
The UPST Contracts Team centrally manages and stores all executed contracts within the BuyWays Contracts Module (Total Contracts Manager - TCM) in support of the vision for an integrated technology platform to manage all procurement services.
Quick Reference Guide: Contracts Quick Reference Guide
- Terms: Purchases that involve building maintenance or labor and materials construction contracts require prevailing wage rates (see the Prevailing Wage Rates accordion below) and insurance. These types of contracts must be processed through the University’s physical plant, or facilities planning division, as appropriate, regardless of dollar amount. Such projects are strictly regulated by law. Violation is a criminal offense and carries personal liability.
- Examples: Janitorial Services, carpet installation, moving of University property, maintenance of grounds, heating, air conditioning, elevators, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, building repairs, building construction, etc.
- Employees: Departments may not contract with a University employee, or with any business in which a University employee or their family has an interest.
Purchases that involve building maintenance or labor and materials construction contracts require prevailing wage rates. Please find the Prevailing Wage sheet for each UMass campus below.
If you are from a satellite campus or need a prevailing wage sheet, please submit a Prevailing Wage Rate Request via the Department of Labor Standards.
- Contract Agreement: Any agreement that meets or exceeds $50,000 requires a Contract for Services (CFS). Note that all contracts must be signed and attached or linked to the BuyWays requisition. For assistance in resolving disputes over contract terms and conditions between the department and the vendor, please contact the UPST.
- Note that the Contract Start Date cannot precede the effective date of the contract.
- Subcontracts: Account Codes 757270, 757271, and 757275 are exceptions to the use of the Contract for Service form. Subcontracts are associated with their own unique grant contract agreements. Questions concerning subcontract agreements should be referred to the respective grant accountant in the Controller’s Office.
- Employees: Contracts for Services may not be issued to University employees, or to any individual whom the IRS might consider to be an employee. Reimbursement to employees is inappropriate in these subsidiaries.
- Prevailing Wage Rates and Insurance: Required for all trade labor at dollar one ($1) and up; for example, installation of carpet, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc. (see Prevailing Wage Rates accordion).
- Change Orders: If the total value of the Contract for Services is equal to or greater than $10,000, a written amendment must be done that has been signed by all the original parties. If the change is to a purchase order for $10,000 or less that had no contract done, and if the change will make the total value of the purchase order total more than $10,000, contact UPST for guidance. If an increase would put the order in another dollar category that would require legal review, competitive quotes, or public bids, contact UPST for guidance.
Materials (goods) must be purchased through a BuyWays catalog if targeted goods are available. Where this condition cannot be met, the following should be followed:
- Purchases less than or equal to $10,000: Department can use their best business judgment.
- Purchases between $10,000.01 and $50,000: Must be purchased through an existing contract. Choose the most advantageous of three vendor quotes. Must be accompanied by a UPST-approved Sole Source/No Bid Justification form.
- Purchases over $50,000: Must be purchased through an existing contract, must be competitively bid through the UPST, and must be accompanied by a UPST-approved Sole Source/No Bid Justification form.
- Rental Agreements: If you are required to sign an agreement to use space/real estate that is not owned by the University, please submit a contract request in BuyWays. Remember, only authorized signatories have the delegated responsibility for executing agreements on behalf of the University.
Financing for Equipment Lease or Purchase: Please enter your equipment lease or purchase as contract request in BuyWays. The process is not recommended for purchases valued at less than $100,000. Plan well in advance.
Forms & Templates
|CFS Statement of Work Template||Template for creating a statement of work (SOW) for contract for services (CFS).|
|Contract for Services Template (CFS)||Template for creating a contract for services (CFS).|
|Master Service Agreement (MSA) Template||Template for creating a master service agreements (MSA).|
|MSA Statement of Work Template||Template for creating a statement of work (SOW) for master service agreement (MSA).|
|Principal Investigator (PI) DocuSign Form (UMB &UMass Chan)||Docusign form for creating a PI contract for UMass Boston and UMass Chan.|
|Contract Amendment Form - SOW Changes||Template for creating a contract amendment on a statement of work (SOW).|
|Contract Amendment Form - Payment||Form for submitting a contract amendment for a payment change.|
|Contract Amendment Form - Dates||Form for submitting a contract amendment for a date change.|
|Contract Amendment Form - Dates and Payment||Form for submitting a contract amendment for a payment and date change.|
|No Bid Justification (NBJ) DocuSign form||Form used when filling a No Bid Justification (Primarily for Amherst & Boston requesters, but can also be used for select departments in other campuses whose requisitions do not originate in BuyWays.)|
|Contract Request Questionnaire||List of questions asked during contract request process.|
|Contract Request Form - Risk Questionnaire (All Campuses except UMass Chan)||List of questions asked during contract risk questionnaire (does not include UMass Chan).|
|Contract Request Form - Risk Questionnaire (UMass Chan Only)||List of questions asked during contract risk questionnaire (UMass Chan only).|
|Contract Request Form - IT Risk Questionnaire (All Campuses except UMass Chan)||List of questions asked during IT risk questionnaire (does not include UMass Chan).|
|Determination of Independent Contractor Status Questions||List of questions used to determine Independent Contractor Status.|