The University is pleased to announce that employees may now elect to receive their W‐2 statements online through HR Direct Self Service in an IRS approved PDF format. This allows you to print and send the online form with your tax return.
The University is required by the IRS to furnish all employees with a form W‐2 for each calendar year. The form W‐2 details the employee’s compensation, tax withholdings and required disclosures for the year. An employee who consents to receiving the Form W-2 electronically will not receive a paper copy (unless specifically requested). For the 2017 W-2 statement, an employee may make their electronic consent election through the end of calendar year 2017. Please note that newly hired University employees are not eligible to complete the consent process until they have received their first paycheck in the current calendar year. If an employee does not consent, Payroll will mail a paper W-2 no later than January 31, 2018 via the US Postal Service to the current address on record.
Benefits of Receiving Form W-2 Electronically:
- Earlier access to the Form W-2.
- No possibility an employee's Form W-2 might be lost, delayed or misplaced by the U.S mail service or by the employee, once received.
- Access is available at the same easy-to-use, secure web site at which an employee can access his/her wage and general account information.
- Access can be attained even if the employee is not presently at his/her residence, for example, if participating in a study-abroad program.
- Multiple levels of security protect all information within the Employee Self Service System.
Payroll will mail form W-2, using the US Postal Service, to the current address on record of those employees who have separated from the University.
If an employee does not consent to receive an electronic version of Form W-2, he or she will be furnished a Form W-2 on paper.
For the 2017 W-2 statement, the deadline for an employee to withdraw their consent for online delivery is no later than the end of calendar year 2017.
You can access the electronic W2 consent form by logging in to HR Direct on the UITS Product Catalog page.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will not have to wait for your W2 to arrive by mail. There is no possibility your W2 might be lost, delayed or misplaced by the U.S mail service. This is another way to help keep your data safe.
- Once you are logged in to HR Direct, click on W-2/W-2c Consent tile.
- Review the consent form, click the consent check box, and click the submit button.
If you consent to electronic delivery of your W2 but leave UMass before the electronic W2 is available, you will receive a paper copy via the U.S. mail.
- You can reverse your decision at any time by removing your consent.
- Log in to HR Direct and navigate to the W2/W-2c Consent page.
- Click the check box for withdrawing your consent and click the submit button.