Office of the General Counsel
As part of our services, we provide formal and informal in-house seminars for University employees on legal matters which present continuing issues for the campuses. Formal seminars allow us to provide campuses with important legal information, while informal sessions provide an opportunity for our office to meet with University employees in collaborative settings to work on common legal problems and practical solutions.
You can review our most recent sessions here.
- Video: “Delete, File, Forward” – email management
Workbook: Record Retention
Webinar: Public Records
Guide: UMSO Public Records Protocol
Template: Sample 10 Business Day Response Letter for Public Records Requests
We also issue General Counsel’s Office memoranda (please see below), which address legal issues of general interest to our campuses.
If you would like our attorneys to address an issue of concern on your campus, let us know. From time to time, it may be productive to have our attorneys spend an hour or two talking to campus administrators on a general topic rather than addressing a specific problem. Our office can also recommend other law firms or state agencies which provide training on specific topics, for example, the state ethics statute, or search and seizure issues for campus police.
The following presentations provide basic overviews of key business processes:
Issued by the Office of the General Counsel
- September 28, 2017: Title IX Update 2017
- July 29, 2016: 2016 University Employee Political Activity Memo
- June 19, 2017: SCJ Decision on Public Records Exemptions (c) and (n)
- June 21, 2017: Website Accessibility - Summary and Analysis of Gil v. Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc., (C.A. No. 16-23020-Civ-Scola)
- August 17, 2017: Indemnification - Authority of the University
Issued by the Governor's Office
- AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Affiliation Agreement: AAMC Uniform Clinical Training Affiliation Agreement