Vehicle Insurance

  • If you are renting a car for University-related travel, always decline Liability Insurance because the University already has this coverage under its general insurance policy. If you are involved in an accident and there is damage to the other driver's car (aka third-party damage), file a police report and contact the Treasurer's Office at
  • If you are paying for the rental car with a Bank Card, decline the Physical Damage insurance (also called Collision and Comprehensive or CDW/LDW) because the Bank Card has a built-in policy. Note, if you are involved in an accident or if the rental car is damaged, you must call the credit card company as soon as it is reasonably feasible
  • If you are paying with a Purchase Order, purchase the Physical Damage insurance
  • If you are paying with a personal credit card, purchase the Physical Damage insurance

Learn more about travel insurance 

The University of Massachusetts is self-insured for automobile liability for vehicles owned by the University. The University is prohibited from insuring University/State-owned property per Massachusetts State Law Chapter 29, Section 30. Therefore, University/State-owned vehicles are NOT insured for Physical Damage (Collision and Comprehensive). Any damages that our office is not able to subrogate to a third party would be paid for by the applicable department or campus. Learn more about travel insurance.

If you are involved in an accident, you must file a claim.

The University purchases Liability Insurance and Physical Damage Insurance (Collision and Comprehensive) for its leased vehicles. When leasing a new vehicle, University departments should request that the University Treasurer's Office add the leased vehicle to our existing insurance policy. A yearly premium will be assessed to the department, and coverage will extend to anyone driving the vehicle with permission.

If you are involved in an accident while driving a vehicle leased by UMass, file a police report and contact the Treasurer's Office at to or (774) 455-7575 coordinate a claim with our leased vehicle insurance carrier.

International Travel Insurance

The University's International Travel Insurance program coverage and services to University Faculty, Staff, Trustees, Students, and Volunteers while on University-related and approved international travel. The coverage is intended to provide the first line of service and protection to the University‚Äôs travelers. Visit the University's Treasurer web page for more details.

Remember to:

  1. Contact your personal health insurance company to better understand how your coverage changes when you travel abroad
  2. Determine if you want to purchase any additional coverage
  3. Register your travel plans in the University's travel registry program
  4. Print the insurance card and keep it with you when you travel

Frequently Asked Questions

Our Knowledge Base has answers to the most frequently asked questions that asked by our constituents.

Travel & Expense FAQs