UMSO Help Desk
About Your Browser History
When performance issues arise on the web, the first thing you will be asked to do is to clear your browser history or cache. Why? Clearing your cache, cookies, and history can prevent or resolve performance issues due to the amount of data being stored in the browser. However, before clearing your cache, it's important to note that you may lose some data you have previously saved, including:
- Saved passwords or remembered logons
- Recently visited websites history
- Other recent activity, such as shopping cart contents
While you could use private browsing as a temporary solution, the recommendation would be to seek out other alternative ways to store this data, including using the favorites feature for frequently visited websites or a password management tool for storage of login credentials.
Key Instructions for Clearing History on all Browsers
- Before you follow the steps to clear cache: Exit/quit all windows in the browser and re-open the browser.
- After you complete the steps to clear cache: Exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.