Travel & Reimbursement Overview

All out-of-state overnight travel must be pre-approved. A Travel Authorization Form must be created in the Expense Module and approved online prior to traveling.

In-state travel does not require formal pre-approval however, a supervisor should be made aware of an employee's intent to travel for business purposes.

The University reimburses employees for all necessary and reasonable travel expenses incurred for authorized University business. A traveler on University-related business has the responsibility to act prudently and incur expenses that are necessary, appropriate, and reasonable.

Employees cannot be reimbursed for any travel expenses prior to the actual travel. Use of a University Purchasing card is suggested for airfare and conference fees in order to avoid any financial hardship.

When securing reservations, travelers should ask if there is a discounted university/college rate available. When traveling on federally funded projects, travelers may request the hotel's government rate. A letter from the project sponsor may be required upon check-in to confirm funding source.

The Fly America Act was enacted in 1974 to mandate the use of U.S. flag air carriers for federally funded international travel. Federally sponsored trips must utilize U.S. flag carriers at the lowest available rates. A letter of justification must be included with the travel expense voucher and submitted to the travel audit section of the traveler's department if other than lowest rates are charged.

All travel expense reimbursements to employees must be accounted for within "a reasonable period of time" of when the expense was incurred. For IRS purposes, a reasonable amount of time is considered to be 120 days. Accordingly, all reimbursement requests must be received within 120 days of when the expense was incurred. Travel Reimbursement requests that are submitted after 120 days will still be accepted but the IRS requires that the reimbursement be treated as taxable to the individual receiving payment. This will result in those amounts being added to the employee’s W-2 at the end of the year.


Employees traveling on university business are strongly encouraged to read the entire Travel Policies and Procedures Manual.