Competitive procurement is the acquisition of Procurements through fair and open competition. Acceptable methods of competitive procurement include invitations to bid, requests for proposals, requests for quotes, or a combination of these (collectively “Invitations”).
Competitive Procurement is required for purchases of materials, goods, commodities, leases (including equipment or real property) and licenses (including software, electronic journals, or real property) which exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000) per fiscal year; and for services contracts including consultant contracts, and sub-contracts which exceed fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) per fiscal year.
Exceptions to Competitive Procurement
- Products or Services purchased off a University, State (OSD), E&I (Educational & Institutional Cooperative Purchasing) or MHEC (Massachusetts Higher Education Consortium) contract
- Purchases of materials, goods, commodities, leases (including equipment or real property) or licenses (including software or real property) less than ten thousand dollars ($10,000) in value.
- The best over-all value based on a minimum of two with a preferred three quotes for purchases of materials, goods, commodities, leases (including equipment or real property) and licenses (including software) between ten thousand dollars ($10,000) and fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) in value.
- Consultant, services contracts, or sub-contracts with fees of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) or less per fiscal year.
- A no-Bid Justification form is completed
A no-bid justification may only be used if the following conditions exist:
- The product or service being purchased is unique and the specified vendor is the only vendor from whom the product or service may be purchased, or
- Similar products/services may exist, but for reasons of expertise, standardization, quality, compatibility with existing equipment, specifications, or availability, the vendor selected is the only acceptable vendor to the University.
- The Procurement Department coordinates and manages all Competitive bids and Proposals for the System Office. They can assist you in developing the required documents and can help guide you through entire bid process.
For more information regarding the Competitive Bidding Process, or to initiate a Competitive Bid, please contact the Procurement Department at email@example.com.