Emergency Management and Continuity
The University of Massachusetts takes a comprehensive approach to prevent, mitigate, prepare for, respond to, and recover from any adverse event or disruption, including all types of emergencies and disasters. The goal is to create a disaster-resilient university with effective crisis and consequence management capability.
The five UMass campuses Emergency Management and Continuity Programs are staffed by multi-disciplinary personnel in emergency management, risk management, environmental health and safety and public safety. Each campus provides direct response and management of the individual hazards facing that campus. While each UMass campus must set specific campus priorities and develop specific campus emergency plans, the University must be united in its governing principles.
The Emergency Management and Continuity Department maintains a Five-Year Strategic Plan that details the strategic direction for enhancing UMass capabilities and capacities aimed at assisting the UMass system in achieving its mission of education, research and public service by enhancing safety, resistance and resilience throughout.
Create a disaster resilient University.
The Emergency Management and Continuity Program’s mission is to provide the following:
- Oversight, coordination, and leadership for the promotion of activities and services that reduce or eliminate risk to people and property from incidents or events and their effects (prevention/mitigation)
- Adequately prepare the University, through the use of emergency planning efforts and training (preparedness) and to ensure that emergencies will be responded to effectively, minimizing the loss of lives and property damage (response)
- Ensure that business continuity and system recovery plans are in place, so that recovery efforts can begin immediately after the emergency, ensuring return of systems and business activities (recovery)
- Employ an integrated all-hazards approach for prevention/mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery planning for UMass
- Provide oversight, communication and coordination for UMass all-hazard emergency management and business continuity programs
- Promote campus understanding and utilization of the Incident Command System and National Incident Management System
- Enhance disaster preparedness capabilities through creating training and exercising opportunities
- Enhance internal and external channels of communication
- Ensure the University stays informed of federal, state and local regulations/changes that affect emergency management and business continuity planning
- Address sustainability considerations in all endeavors and ensure that strategies are measurable