The mission of the University of Massachusetts Foundation, Inc. is to “foster and promote the growth, progress and general welfare of the University of Massachusetts” as stated in the original 1950 Articles of Organization. The Foundation is a Massachusetts Chapter 180 private, not-for-profit corporation which is exempt from federal taxes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Serving the five campuses of the University, the Foundation is overseen by a Board of Directors.
- To provide a depository for charitable contributions which will benefit the University and which segregates these private funds from public funds;
- To manage and allocate the assets of the Foundation in a prudent manner through policies which foster stability and growth of its resources;
- To be available for University use as a vehicle to allow for flexibility, efficiency and economy in financing projects and research;
- To foster a long-term perspective on the needs of the University;
- To promote private support of public higher education; and
- To support University development efforts.